Friday 4 June 2010

Cycle Ride 4th June 2010

Having been woken up at 5am by a 'dawn chorus' performed by my lovebird 'Hercules', and given that I will be cycling the 'c2c' cycle route in less than a week (for charity- please sponsor me here), I decided to go for a bike ride before breakfast. I vaguely planned a route:

Or, more precisely, here is the route on Google Maps. As I left at 6am, and given the roads I'd chosen to take, I encountered very few cars and lots of countryside and wildlife which, on a sunny morning like today, was an absolute pleasure. Having cycled through Lubenham, Marston Trussell, Sibbertoft and Sulby, my first brief stop was at Welford when I encountered Postman Pat & Jess:



And more nearby wood carvings:




As I cycled up towards Cold Ashby, a tractor came up behind me. The tractor was as wide as the road, so I pulled over in a little lay-by for it to overtake (I managed to resist the urge to exact revenge for all those times I've been in a car and had to wait behind a slow tractor and make it wait until an appropriate overtaking spot). At that point I decided to have a quick water break and admire the view (and take a photo of it):



Once through Cold Ashby I headed out of Naseby towards the site of the Battle of Naseby monument. I stopped there for a snack, some photo's and to 'bone up' on a bit of local history!

The Battle of Naseby Monument:



The Parliamentarians would have been looking across the fields from this angle:



As I continued cycling home I came across the spot where the Royalists would have looked over the fields towards the Parliamentarians:



That was my last stop before home. Here is the route I took:



Thank you. Please don't forget to sponsor me!

No comments:

Post a Comment